Prince death investigation: No obvious signs of trauma

Image 1 of 8

The autopsy of Prince was completed Friday afternoon, but it will likely be several weeks before any more is known about what caused the singer's death.

The 57-year-old singer was last seen alive on Wednesday night around 8 p.m., Carver County Sheriff Jim Olson. He did not respond to calls on Thursday morning, which prompted his friends and staff to call in a welfare check around 9:30 a.m.

Prince was found unresponsive in an elevator at Paisley Park, according to the Carver County Sheriff's office. Deputies attempted CPR, but efforts to revive him were unsuccessful. His body showed no obvious signs of trauma, Olson said, and there is no reason to believe his death was a suicide.

Spokeswoman Martha Weaver said the medical examiner will not release any preliminary results of the investigation into the cause of death. Gathering the results to determine a cause of death, which includes collecting the singer's medical and family history, will take "several days" and a full toxicology scan could "likely take weeks," according to Chief Medical Examiner Dr. A. Quinn Strobl.

Prince's body was released to his family Friday afternoon.

Complete statement from Midwest Medical Examiner

"The Chief Medical Examiner for Midwest Medical Examiners Office, on behalf of the Carver County Sheriff's Office, has performed the autopsy on Prince Rogers Nelson. The autopsy began at 9 a.m. CDT and was completed by Dr. A. Quinn Strobl at 1:00 p.m. local time. The body will be released to family later today. As part of a complete exam, relevant information regarding Mr. Nelson's medical and family history will be gathered. Anything which could be relevant to the investigation will be taken into consideration. Midwest Medical Examiners Office will not release information until the exam is complete and all results are obtained. Gathering the results will take several days and the results of a full toxicology scan could likely take weeks. Public information will be provided as soon as it is available in accordance with the investigation."

Complete statement from Carver County Sheriff

"Carver County Sheriff Jim Olson reports that on April 21, 2016, at about 9:43 am, sheriff's deputies responded to a medical call at Paisley Park Studios in Chanhassen. When deputies and medical personnel arrived, they found an unresponsive adult male in the elevator. First responders attempted to provide lifesaving CPR, but were unable to revive the victim. He was pronounced deceased at 10:07 am. He has been identified as Prince Rogers Nelson (57) of Chanhassen. The Carver County Sheriff's Office, with the assistance of the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office and The Midwest Medical Examiner's Office, are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding his death."

911 call: 'Yes, it's Prince'

The Carver County sheriff's office has released the transcript of the 911 call that was placed when Prince was found unresponsive . The caller struggles to provide an address before saying they are at Paisley Park and "yes, it's Prince." READ THE FULL TRANSCRIPT

TMZ: Percocet triggered overdose days before death

TMZ reports that Prince overdosed on the powerful painkiller Percocet days before his death, requiring a "save shot" at the airport in Moline, Illinois where his plane made an emergency. READ MORE AT TMZ.COM

Sheila E: Prince had bad hips

Prince's former percussionist, Sheila E., appeared on ABC's Good Morning America on Friday. She said Prince suffered hip injuries while performing.

PHOTOS + VIDEO - Minneapolis celebrates Prince with all-night dance party