Man who pleaded guilty in DUI crash that killed 5 wanted after failing to appear for sentencing

- A D.C. man is a fugitive from justice after he failed to appear for his sentencing hearing for a drunk driving crash that killed five people, including two children.

Authorities are searching for Kenneth Kelley after he was a no-show to court on Friday. Kelley pleaded guilty in March to 28 charges, including five counts of negligent manslaughter, for the deadly crash that happened on Oct. 10, 2014 on Livingston Road in Oxon Hill.

Prosecutors said Kelley was driving a Mercedes vehicle traveling at least 60 miles per hour, twice above the posted speed limit, when he slammed into back of an Acura vehicle stopped at a red light. The vehicle that was struck from behind hit a telephone pole as a result of the collision. Kelley had a blood alcohol content of .14, which is above the legal limit of .08 in the state of Maryland.

Four people in the Acura – Typhany Wilkerson, 32, Tameika Curtis, 35, Khadiua Ba, 13, and Hassan Boykin, 1 – died in the crash along with 21-year-old Dominique Green, who was a passenger in Kelley’s car.

Family members of the victims killed in the crash showed up in court on Friday seeking some closure. However, they were left with more anger and heartache.

“I was just extremely shocked by it really,” said Nina Bell. “Something tells me though he wasn’t going to show up for court. I don’t understand why he was released after just admitting or taking a plea of guilty of killing five people.”

Inside the Acura was Bell's younger and older sisters, little cousin and another family member.

“Now you kind of feel like the system has failed you because you depend on a system to right any wrong and all we are left to do is wait,” Bell said.

Bell now lives Dallas. She said attending Kelley's sentencing hearing would have been too painful, but knowing he was a no-show hurts even more.

“Obviously, the family was very angry, very outraged,” said Prince George’s County State’s Attorney’s Office spokesperson John Erzen. “They expressed a lot of their anger and frustration in the courtroom. We completely understand why they feel that way. We sympathize with the family and our hearts break with them. They came here today expecting to see a person who took five of their loved ones from them sentenced to prison.”

Erzen confirmed Kelley had a GPS ankle monitoring device that was removed earlier this week. But that was just another slap in the face to Bell.

“Ten children, a host of family and friends get no justice, but we are supposed to put our trust in the justice system,” she said. “But we are really not getting any justice here.”

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

More Stories You May Be Interested In - Includes Advertiser Stories