Duplex fire in Landover Hills

A Landover Hills family is alive and well today, says Prince George's county fire department, after being awakened by a working smoke alarm at about 3:30 this morning. 

Firefighters were alerted to a house fire in the 6800 block of Farragut Street and arrived to find a 1-story, with basement, duplex with fire and smoke showing from one side.  

Fire officials say that a quick search of both sides of the duplex resulted in no one being found in the duplex of origin and 2 residents assisted out of the other half. The fire on the first floor had extended up into the attic and was soon contained and extinguished by first arriving firefighters.

Unattended cooking was the cause of the accidental fire that resulted in an estimated $100,000 in fire loss to the structure and contents. The family was awakened by a working smoke alarm that emitted the audible warning of fire. The family exited the home safely prior to the fire departments arrival.

One firefighter sustained a minor burn injury while fighting the fire he was treated and released from a burn unit.  Both duplex families are displaced and the Office of Emergency Management is assisting the residents.

A working smoke alarm increases the chances of surviving a fire in your home by about 50% says Fire officials. 10-year, tamper proof, with a hush feature smoke alarms should be installed on every level of your home just outside of sleeping areas and one in every bedroom.

Each home should also have a pre-designed and practiced escape plan which identifies 2 ways out of every room and a safe meeting place outside.  Once out of a burning house, stay out!!!


Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

More Stories You May Be Interested In - Includes Advertiser Stories