WASHINGTON - A candle caused a fire that left a woman hospitalized after she jumped from her apartment window to escape the flames. The fire was reported around 3:30 a.m. in the 100 block of Wayne Place in Southeast, D.C.
Investigators say the woman jumped from the window before they arrived on the scene. The fire appeared to have started on the second floor of the three-story apartment.
Cause of Wayne Place SE Fire has been identified as a candle. 1 person suffered critical injuries. DO NOT leave candles unattended, and be sure to extinguish them before going to sleep. pic.twitter.com/bPpgO2I0m7— DC Fire and EMS (@dcfireems) January 10, 2018
Firefighters urge residents to make sure burning candles are never left unattended and to extinguish them before going to sleep.
The victim remains hospitalized in critical condition.
#BREAKING FIRST ON FOX 5: Investigators on scene trying to figure out how fire started. Fire on 2nd floor of 3-story apt bldg is out. Woman trapped inside JUMPED out of window to safety before FF arrived. She's at the hospital in CRITICAL CONDITION. 🙏113 Wayne Pl SE DC @fox5dc pic.twitter.com/YDvq8PTdvu— Annie Yu (@AnnieYuFox5) January 10, 2018