FORT HUNT, Va. (FOX 5 DC) - A spokesperson for the Bijan Ghaisar family confirmed to FOX 5 that signs marking the place near where the 25-year-old accountant from McLean was shot and killed by U.S. Park Police officers have been stolen.
The family spokesperson confirmed that a large sign with Ghaisar’s image on it, along with the words, “One Year, Zero Answers,” had been stolen from a location near the intersection of Fort Hunt Road and Alexandria Avenue in the Fort Hunt area. The sign was erected by Senator Scott Surovell of Virginia and had been chained to a large tree.
The family spokesperson also confirmed to FOX 5 that smaller signs had been stolen from the same location last year prompting Surovell to place the larger sign.
According to a police report, Ghaisar was shot on Nov. 17, 2017, near that intersection by two U.S. Park Police officers. The shooting was preceded by a brief chase police believe began after a fender-bender on the George Washington Parkway in Alexandria. Ghaisar died 10 days later. Video released by Fairfax County Police in January 2018 showed parts of a chase and shooting involving officers and Ghaisar.
A report from Fairfax County Police confirmed the family's belief that Ghaisar was not armed and no drugs were in his vehicle. U.S. Park Police have yet to give an explanation as to why officers shot Ghaisar.
- Bijan Ghaisar's family demands answers 1-year after his death
- US Park Police chief confronted about deadly shooting of Bijan Ghaisar
- Bijan Ghaisar Shooting: Family sues nearly 9 months after US Park Police fatally shoot accountant
- Nearly 7 months after US Park Police fatally shoot Bijan Ghaisar, investigation returns to scene
- US Park Police chief cancels meeting with Norton, Beyer regarding Bijan Ghaisar shooting
- Bijan Ghaisar's family and friends push for answers in US Park Police shooting death
- Bijan Ghaisar Shooting: Ex-federal prosecutor questions US Park Police's use of deadly force
- Video of US Park Police fatal shooting of accountant released by Fairfax County police
- Fairfax County police say US Park Police fatal shooting of accountant caught on dashcam
- Police report details traffic accident that took place before Va. man fatally shot by US Park Police
- Remembering Bijan Ghaisar: Vigil held for McLean accountant shot, killed by US Park Police
- Virginia man shot by US Park Police after chase dies at hospital, family says
- FBI investigating shooting of chase suspect by US Park Police officer
- Police: Hit-and-run suspect shot by officers in Alexandria after leading them on chase, crash