WASHINGTON (FOX 5 DC) - With Christmas 2018 now past, you may want to take down your Christmas tree. Several districts in DC, Maryland and Virginia offer tree collection and recycling services to residents. Many places even turn trees and any yard/plant waste into mulch that you can have for free.
Before taking your tree down, be sure to remove all ornaments and lights; do not put trees and greenery in a bag. If you have a large tree, you should consider cutting it into smaller pieces to help with collection and disposal.
D.C. Department of Public Works says holiday trees and greenery will be collected between Jan. 14 and Feb. 2. Residents are asked to place holiday trees and greenery where their trash is collected.
Trees can also be brought to the Fort Totten and Benning Road transfer stations.
Montgomery County accepts Christmas trees year-round via curbside yard trim collection. County residents should set their Christmas trees at the curb by 7 a.m. on recycling collection days.
Prince George's County
Prince George's County residents can leave their trees by the curb from Dec. 31 through Jan. 28 for recycling. Trees left by the curb by 6 a.m. will be picked up on yard waste collection days. They can also be taken to the Brown Station Road Public Container Pad and Recycling Center or the Missouri Ave. Solid Waste Acceptance and Recycling Center.
Tree recycling is available from Dec. 26, 2018 through Jan. 27, 2019 at one of seven county sites:
- Reichs Ford Road Yard Waste Recycling Site - 9031 Reichs Ford RD, Frederick, MD 21704
- Ballenger Creek Park (second parking lot on the left) - 5420 Ballenger Creek Pike, Frederick, MD 21703
- Kemptown Park (lower left parking lot) - 3456B Kemptown Church RD, Monrovia, MD 21770
- Middletown Park Recycling Center (gravel lot by maintenance shop road) - 7628 Coblentz RD, Middletown, MD 21769
- Point of Rocks Ruritan Club (left side of parking lot) - 1637 Ballenger Creek Pike, Point of Rocks, MD 21777
- Eyler Road Park (fenced area on right) - 30 Eyler RD, Thurmont, MD 21788
- Heritage Farm Park (yard trimmings collection site) - 9224 Devilbiss Bridge RD, Walkersville, MD 21793
Tree collection is available from Dec. 26- Jan. 19. Residents with yard trim collection can place their trees on curb by 6 a.m. on the day off service.
- Clarksville – Kendall Hardware (12260 Rt. 108)
- Columbia – Cedar Lane Park (5081 Cedar Lane) and Grandfather’s Garden Center – (5320 Phelps Luck Dr.)
- Elkridge – Rockburn Park (5400 Landing Road)
- Ellicott City – Small Circuit Court parking lot on upper Court House Drive (just past Ellicott Mills Drive, on the right)
- Highland – Schooley Mill Park (12975 Hall Shop Road)
- Marriottsville – Alpha Ridge Landfill Wood Waste Area (2350 Marriottsville Road)
- Savage – Savage Park (8400 Fair Street)
- Woodbine – Western Regional Park (14800 Carrs Mill Road)
Anne Arundel County
Tree collection occurs year-round on Yard Waste days before 6 a.m. from regular collection spot. Trees can also be brought to any county recycling center.
Tree collection is running Dec. 26 through Jan. 13, 2019. Residents are asked to drop off their Christmas trees at any of these 12 locations:
- Breeze Farm Recycling Center: 15950 Cobb Island Road, Cobb Island
- Calvary Gospel Church - Route 228, 11150 Berry Road, Waldorf
- Charles County Courthouse - Talbot Street, La Plata
- Charles County Landfill Recycling Center: 12305 Billingsley Road, Waldorf
- Gilbert Run Park Recycling Center: 13140 Charles Street, Charlotte Hall
- Pinefield Park: Pinewood Drive, Waldorf
- Piney Church Yard Waste Facility: Piney Church Road, Waldorf
- Pisgah Recycling Center*: 6645 Mason Springs Road, La Plata
- Route 5 Park N’ Ride: Mattawoman-Beantown Road, Waldorf
- Radio Station Road: Across from Laurel Springs Park in La Plata
- Ruth B. Swann Memorial Park: Ruth B. Swan Drive, Bryans Road (Off Route 210)
- St. Nicholas Drive: St. Nicholas Drive, Waldorf (Off Smallwood Drive)
Christmas tree collection and recycling is available curbside the first two weeks in January.
Christmas trees can be recycled curbside by residents who receive trash collection services from the city. Alexandria City asks that trees be set at your regular yard waste collection point, on your trash collection day.
After Jan. 11, Christmas trees are handled at curbside as part of regular year-round yard waste collection, which means turned into mulch. Trees over 8-feet long will need to be dismantled. Arlington County asks that residents place trees at their curbs no later than 6 a.m. on regular trash collection day.
Christmas trees may also be brought to the Solid Waste Bureau’s Earth Products Yard in Shirlington.
Christmas tree recycling for Loudoun County runs Dec. 26 through Jan. 20 and is available at five locations in the county.
- Leesburg: Loudoun County Landfill Recycling Dropoff Center – 21101 Evergreen Mills Road
- Leesburg, 20175 (Open Monday through Saturday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Lovettsville: Game Protective Association – 16 South Berlin Pike Lovettsville, 20180 (Open daily)
- Purcellville: Franklin Park – 17501 Franklin Park Dr. Purcellville, 20132 (Open daily, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.) Sterling: Claude Moore Park (use Loudoun Park Lane entrance, go to ball fields) – 46150 Loudoun Park Lane Sterling, 20164 (7 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- South Riding: Town Hall (rear parking lot next to tennis court) 43055 Center Street South Riding, 20152 (Open daily)
Prince William County
- Prince William County says residents may recycle cut tree and greenery at several locations:
- The Prince William County Landfill, 14811 Dumfries Road in Manassas
- Monday - Saturday, 6 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Sunday, 8 a.m. –5 p .m. (closed New Year's Day)
- The Balls Ford Road Compost Facility, 13000 Balls Ford Road in Manassas
- Monday - Saturday, 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Sunday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. (closed New Year's Day)
- Leesylvania State Park, 2001 Daniel K. Ludwig Drive in Woodbridge, off Neabsco Road (Trees may be dropped off at Shelter #2 and will be used for wildlife and aquatic habitats.)
- Northern Virginia Electric Cooperative (NOVEC), 5399 Wellington Branch Road in Gainesville (December 26 – January 7, 2019)