GERMANTOWN, Md. (FOX 5 DC) - A space heater is the likely cause of an electrical fire that ignited a blaze that destroyed a home in Germantown early Thursday morning.
Officials say firefighters responded to Emerald Drive around 4 a.m. after the homeowner, who was returning to the house, saw smoke coming from inside. Firefighters arrived to find fire on several levels of the home.
Pete Piringer, the chief spokesperson for Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service, said that the space heater was being used on the first floor. He said the blaze caused $750,000 in total damages and said that the house was unsafe to occupy.
At least three firefighters fell through a hole in the floor as they were entering the home. They were quickly pulled out by other firefighters. None of the firefighters are believed to have suffered serious injuries.
No occupants were believed to have been inside of the house at the time of the fire.
Update - Emerald Dr, Germantown, significant damage, building structurally unsound & unsafe to occupy; Space heater operating in area of origin on 1st floor; Cause, likely electrical in nature; Damage, $750K, incl $500K structure, $250K contents; 1 person displaced; it’s cold pic.twitter.com/FHaWnJJMIf— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) January 31, 2019
Update - Emerald Dr, Germantown, SFH, fire out, floor burned thru, significant damage, homeowner came home discovered fire, called 911, FFs arrived w/ fire on several levels, no serious injury pic.twitter.com/SNXAJwajAF— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) January 31, 2019
~5a 21331 Emerald Drive, Germantown, single-family house, fire on several levels, 1FF fell thru floor upon entry & quickly extricated, no serious injury, no civilian injuries, bulk of fire knocked down, extensive ‘overhaul’, significant damage, BTW temp about 5° feels-like -4° pic.twitter.com/GSIgXJn403— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) January 31, 2019