WASHINGTON - While many residents in the area retreat indoors for cold weather, there are many, including the homeless, elderly, disabled and pets who have restricted options in freezing temperatures.
There are agencies in the area you can call if you need to help anyone in need with finding shelter in Cold Emergency situations.
If you come across anyone who has been outside and is unconscious or not breathing, please call 911.
Warming sites are opened when D.C. Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency activates a "Cold Emergency" Alert.
DC Shelter Hotline: (202) 399-7093, or 1-800-535-7252 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Online: dhs.dc.gov or hsema.dc.gov
For pets: The Washington Humane Society (202) 723-5730
A list of D.C. shelters can be found online.
Montgomery County, Md.
- Department of Health and Human Services Mobile Crisis Team: (240) 777-4000
- Police non-emergency to connect homeless people with assistance: (301) 279-8000
- More info can be found on the county's web page.
Prince George's County, Md.
- Homeless Hotline: 1-888-731-0999 (toll-free), or (301) 864-7095.
- Anyone requiring more information about emergency services resources online.
- Anyone needing shelter services can find a list on the county's website.
Fairfax County, Va.
- Fairfax County Coordinated Services Planning : (703) 222-0880
- Emergency shelter services can be found online.
Arlington County, Va.
Arlington County Community Assistance Bureau: (703) 228-1300
Loudoun County, Va.
Loudoun Cold Weather Shelter: (571) 258-3033
Online resources can be found through Volunteers of America Chesapeake