FORT WASHINGTON, Md. - Investigators now say there was no working smoke alarm in the home of an elderly couple in Prince George's County. The two were killed after a late-night fire destroyed their home.
The fire was reported around 11:30 p.m. in the 500 block of Round Table Drive in Fort Washington.
Investigators say hoarding conditions inside of the home forced firefighters to pull out of the house and fight the flames from the outside.
Daughter tells me Harry & Clara Proctor were married for 50+ years, had 8 children and a lot of love 💕 They died together last night after their home caught on fire. @fox5dc @PGFDNews pic.twitter.com/AkFlVWb2Bd— Melanie Alnwick (@fox5melanie) March 9, 2018
FOX 5's Melanie Alnwick spoke with the daughter of the elderly victims who identified the couple as Clara and Harry Proctor. The daughter told Alnwick that the two had been married for over 50 years. Authorities say their bodies were found by the front door of the home. The daughter believes her parents died inside because they couldn't find the deadbolt key to unlock the door.
The preliminary cause of the fire appears to be accidental.
Daughter of elderly couple killed in #FtWashington house fire believes her parents couldn’t find the key to the deadbolt bc of heavy smoke. Their bodies were found near the front door. @fox5dc pic.twitter.com/OI1Y8BMWFV— Melanie Alnwick (@fox5melanie) March 9, 2018
Investigators say fire damages are estimated at $150,000.