Off-duty Secret Service officer killed in DC shooting

The Secret Service said a uniformed officer who was suspended after being charged in a domestic incident earlier this year has been shot and killed.

Arthur Baldwin died at the hospital Tuesday after he was shot multiple times in a residential neighborhood in Southwest D.C.

Just after 3 p.m. on Tuesday, D.C. police tweeted information about the shooting saying they were looking for three black males.

On Wednesday, D.C. police said investigators believe Baldwin was the victim of a robbery.

"At this time, we have no indication that this was related to his employment," said D.C. Police Capt. Robert Alder. "We do believe some personal property was taken.

Alder added, "The only information I can confirm is that he is an employee of the Secret Service and we do not believe he was armed at the time."

Baldwin was arrested last April outside an apartment building in Southeast D.C. where his girlfriend lived. Police said that he tried to break down the door and busted a couple of windows. At the time, Baldwin identified himself as a police officer and had a handgun in his car.

After his arrest, the Secret Service placed him on administrative leave and had his police powers revoked. He had a floor finishing business on the side and was taking jobs while his case wound its way through the court system.

Baldwin made a court appearance Tuesday morning at 10 a.m. and signed a release promising to appear again at a later date. A few hours later, he was found shot to death near a wooded area just off of South Capitol Street.

Court records show one charge had already been dropped and he was facing a destruction of property charge when he was killed.

In a statement, USSS said:

"Secret Service is aware of the information. We express condolences to the family of our employee. Any inquiries regarding the investigation should be directed to Metropolitan Police Department."

Several incidents involving the Secret Service have come under investigation over the last several months.

Earlier this year, the inspector general was investigating a March 4 incident in which two high-ranking agency officials were accused of driving into a secure area at the White House after a night of drinking.

Video of this incident was shown during the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform hearing on Capitol Hill.

On December 2, a Secret Service officer accused of trying to solicit sex from an undercover agent he thought was a 14-year-old girl was indicted on a federal charge of trying to transfer obscene material to a minor.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.