In the last few days, several dogs have gotten sick after eating what are being called raw sausages stuffed with pills, which were scattered along sidewalks along North Columbus Street, just off of Lee Highway. The area is heavily residential, which means many dogs may have followed the same path while out walking with their owners.
So far, two dogs have gotten sick and been hospitalized at the Hope Center in Vienna. Those dogs are now back at home with their owners, and they continue to be monitored.
As of Monday night, the tainted meat had been picked up, but concerned pet owners posted signs throughout the neighborhood warning others to be aware and have their dogs checked out by a vet if they start to exhibit symptoms.
If you live in the area and have walked a pet that is experiencing symptoms which might include pacing, hyperactivity, panting, diarrhea, or lip licking, you should get them to a doctor because it's possible they may be a victim.
The Animal Welfare League of Arlington is investigating. They're looking for witnesses who may have seen someone tossing poisoned meat long the sidewalks. They say this situation is a reminder to watch what your pets are eating while you walk them—not only in Arlington, but anywhere.