It's Brain Awareness Week.
So, here are the top 20 brain foods to feed your head!
Maureen Loftus, executive director of LearningRx of Vienna and Reston, joined us to tell us what makes the top brain foods so good and how to make a meal out of them.Here is a list of the TOP 20 BRAIN-SUPPORTING FOODS:
- Broccoli is rich with vitamin K which enhances cognitive function and improves memory.
- Tomatoes have Lycopene which helps prevent damage to brain cells that lead to dementia.
- Walnuts have vitamin E and that helps lower the risk of developing Alzheimer's disease.
- Blueberries help protect the brain from stress and improve thinking and memory and
- Avocados are rich in monounsaturated fats that contribute to healthy blood flow to the brain.
- Salmoncontains omega-3 fatty acids that help improve cognitive function, which helps with working memory, while
- Red wine has antioxidants that help block plaque in brain.
- Dark chocolate contains flavonoids, another class of antioxidants that research links to brain health.
- Cinnamon has been shown to help attention and it helps regulate blood sugar.
- Pumpkin seeds provide zinc, vital for enhancing memory and thinking skills.
- Hummus contains garbanzo beans which help stabilize glucose (blood sugar) levels.
- Dark, leafy green vegetables like kale and bok choy are filled with antioxidants which are particularly powerful brain protectors,
- Green and black teas can improve attention span, reaction time and other brain skills.
- Olive oil is a great source of monounsaturated fats, which has been shown to actually slow brain aging.
- Eggs are rich in choline which helps with maintaining memory and communication among brain cells and curried foodshave turmeric that contains a chemical that has been shown to decrease the plaques in the brain thought to be responsible for Alzheimer's disease.
- Beets are a good source of naturally-occurring nitrates, which help improve blood flow to the brain.
- Garlic may help stave off some forms of brain cancer.
- Whole grain crackers/bread provides the brain energy to concentrate and focus, keeping you mentally alert throughout the day.
- Almonds are a great source of vitamin E might help to prevent cognitive decline.
- Coffee improves mental acuity.