Investigation after fire destroys house in Clarksburg


Dozens of Montgomery County firefighters battled a house fire in Clarksburg over the weekend.

 It happened in the 23100 block of Persimmon Ridge Road around 2:30 a.m. Sunday.

 Firefighters say someone was smoking on the back porch of the home and the smoking material wasn't properly discarded. By the time the family of four realized the house was on fire, flames were out of control. 

 "We see this from time to time," said Montgomery County Fire spokesman Pete Piringer. "When the fire starts on the outside, catches the vinyl siding on fire, it burns very quickly and it burns fast and hot."

 Montgomery County Police Officer Jon Roark was the first on scene. He went door-to-door to get neighbors out of their homes.

 "The wind was whipping the flames," Roark said. "(The fire) was getting bigger."

 Neighbors said they appreciated his quick work. 

 "You're kind of shocked, you just hope everyone's OK,  everybody's out of the house and that your house doesn't go up in flames next," said neighbor Nooshin Amirpour, whose home ended up with some damage to the side.

 The family who lost their home only moved in a few weeks ago. A neighbor started this Gofundme page:


 Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson Pete Piringer said the fire was reported in the 23100 block of Persimmon Ridge Road around  2:30 a.m.  Sunday.

According to Piringer,  a police officer helped make sure the house was evacuated before firefighters were at the scene.

There were no injuries but a family of four is displaced.

The house suffered a lot of damage and there was some collateral damage to two adjacent homes.

The fire was sparked on the deck from improperly discarded smoking material.

Piringer said damages are estimated at $700,000.


Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

More Stories You May Be Interested In - Includes Advertiser Stories