ORLANDO, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - Universal Orlando on Tuesday unveiled more details about its Volcano Bay water park, along with new artist renderings.
Universal describes the 28-acre attraction as "a lush, tropical oasis inspired by the Pacific isles," which promises "thrills, indulgence or rejuvenation."
The park, slated to open in 2017, will include everything from drop slides and white-water action to a relaxing winding river, serene beaches and private cabanas. Volcano Bay is made up of four themed areas with Polynesian influences ranging from Easter Island, Hawaii, New Zealand and more.
At the heart of the park, you’ll see the 200-foot-tall volcano called Krakatau. By day, you’ll see its majestic waterfalls. And by night, the volcano will illuminate with blazing lava. There are three body slides:
- Ko’okiri Body Plunge: A racing, 70-degree drop that will plummet 125-feet through the center of Krakatau. It will be the world’s first slide to travel through a pool filled with guests.
- Kala and Ta Nui Serpentine Body Slides: Two intertwining slides where you’ll fall freely along 124 twisting feet.
- Punga Racers: A high-speed race through four different enclosed slides featuring manta-shaped mats.
Located at the base of Krakatau, Wave Village is a perfect place to soak in the sun and relax on the sandy shores. It includes:
- Waturi Beach: A sparkling, multi-directional wave pool where you can swim, relax on the sand or indulge in private, one- or two-story cabanas.
- The Reef: An adjacent leisure pool with calmer waters and exciting views of riders speeding through the Ko’okiri Body Plunge.
River Village offers several family-friendly attractions and experiences and features:
- Kopiko Wai Winding River: A gentle, winding river that passes through the volcano’s hidden caves, featuring spontaneous water effects and a journey through the cave of starlight.
- Tot Tiki Reef: A whimsical toddler play area with spraying Maori fountains, slides and a kid-size volcano.
- Runamukka Reef: A three-story water playground inspired by the coral reef overflowing with twisting slides, sprinklers and more.
- Honu: An adventurous, multi-passenger raft ride that will soar across a dual wall.
- Ika Moana: A twisting, multi-passenger raft ride that will glide across bubbling geysers.
Rainforest Village features an incredible assortment of attractions for thrill-seekers, including:
- Maku: North America’s first “saucer ride”, sending multi-passenger rafts speeding around three saucer-shaped curves.
- Puihi: A breath-taking multi-passenger raft ride that will plunge you into darkness before bursting into a funnel and launching into a zero-gravity drop.
- Ohyah and Ohno Drop Slides: Two twisting, adrenaline-pumping slides that launch you four- or six-feet above the water at the end.
- TeAwa The Fearless River: An action-packed, racing torrent river where you’ll have to hang tight in your inner tube amidst roaring, whitewater rapids.
- Taniwha Tubes: Four unique Easter Island-inspired slides with rafts for single or double riders.
- Puka Uli Lagoon: A tranquil pool where you can swim and relax.