NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. - The chairman of the Prince George's County liquor board is facing DUI and reckless driving charges after an accident that took place as he was leaving the grand opening of the new MGM National Harbor resort and casino last week. But a police report is contradicting his claim he took a breathalyzer test and the results were "inconclusive.”
Two sources familiar with the police report say Charles Caldwell was taken to the Oxon Hill police station where he initially agreed to take a breathalyzer test, but then refused to complete it. The report says Caldwell blew into the machine once, but when he was asked to provide a second sample, he refused.
Police protocol requires two samples for a successful test and an accurate reading of a driver's blood alcohol content.
When FOX 5’s Paul Wagner reached Caldwell by phone Monday and asked him about the report, he told us he thought the machine was broken and then declined to comment further.
Last week, Caldwell told FOX 5 that he had not refused to take a breathalyzer test and the police had made a mistake in arresting him. However, Prince George’s County police say Caldwell failed a field sobriety test, which a source now says was captured on a police cruiser's dash camera.
In our initial interview with the chairman of the county's liquor board, Caldwell said that he is almost 73 years old and unsteady on his feet, and said the incident was being "blown out of proportion."
However, Prince George's County Police Cpl. Lamar Robinson said Friday, "They approached Mr. Caldwell on the driver’s side of his vehicle and observed a strong odor of alcoholic beverage. Some preliminary field sobriety tests were given to Caldwell, which he failed, and subsequently he was placed into custody. And at that particular juncture, he was charged accordingly.”
In a brief phone conversation Monday, Paul Wagner asked Caldwell if he had been suspended from his job. He said he had not, but then declined to comment further.
The chairman of the liquor board is appointed by the governor. Despite repeated attempts to get a comment from the governor’s press office, it has so far been silent.