WASHINGTON - Thousands of runners will take over the streets of the nation’s capital as the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon will be held on Saturday.
The 26.2-mile course will begin near the Ellipse of the White House and will continue around the city to the finish line at RFK Stadium. In addition to the marathon course, there will also be a half marathon and a 5K course as well. (Click here to see the map of all three courses)
Participants can pick up their bib number at the DC Armory on Thursday between 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. and on Friday at 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
On Saturday, the marathon race will begin at 7 a.m. on Constitution Avenue and 14th Street, SW. Runners will be split in five different waves and the start line for the marathon will close at 7:15 a.m. The 5K start time is at 8 a.m. and the Half Marathon start time will take place at 8:30 a.m.
For full race details, go to www.runrocknroll.com/dc/news/2018/02/race-weekend-information-center-2/
NEW SECURITY MEASURES
For the first time, drivers are being told to move their cars off the marathon route or they will get their vehicle towed. Officials wants cars removed from the route because they do not want them used following vehicle attacks in New York City and Nice, France.
"The rational is that there have been attacks in New York City, but also in Europe where individuals have used gatherings of people to attack individuals who are on sidewalks or streets," said Deputy Mayor for Public Safety and Justice Kevin Donahue.
Tow trucks will be dispatched to the marathon route and will remove all vehicles after 6:30 a.m. It is being called a courtesy tow. Drivers will be ticketed and towed around the corner to an open space, but not to an impound yard.
With Metro not open until 7 a.m. on Saturday, riding on Metro will not be an option for runners racing in the marathon. However, free shuttles are being offered to runners from Lot 6 at RFK Stadium. However, participants must reserve a seat on the shuttle as well as pre-purchase parking.
RACE ROUTES AND STREET CLOSURES
D.C. police say there will be many road closures for the big race. Some of the closures will begin as early as 2 a.m. The streets are expected to reopen at around 3 p.m.
Half Marathon/Full Marathon Turns:
- Start on Constitution Ave NW just east of 14th Street NW
- Right on Virginia Ave NW
- Right on 18th Street NW
- Left on E Street NW (eastbound lanes)
- Left on 19th Street NW
- Right on Constitution Ave NW
- Left on 23rd Street NW
- Enter Lincoln Memorial Circle
- Merge Right onto Parkway Dr/Beach Volleyball courts
- Continue straight onto Rock Creek and Potomac Pkwy
- Right at Virginia Ave NW and merge onto I St NW
- Continue on I St NW to Potomac River Frwy
- Right onto Potomac River Frwy and continue south to horseshoe turn
- Continue north on Potomac River Frwy
- Exit left onto 27th St NW
- Right onto Virginia Ave NW
- Right onto Rock Creek Pkwy
- Continue north on Rock Creek Pkwy
- Merge Left on Shoreham Drive NW
- Right on Calvert Street NW
- Merge Right on Adams Mill Rd
- Left on Columbia Rd NW
- Right on Harvard Street NW
- Right on 5th Street NW
- Merge onto 4th Street NW
- Left on Bryant Street NW
- Right on N. Capitol Street NW
- Left on K Street NE
- Right on 4th Street NE
- Left on H Street NE
- Right on 13th Street NE
- Left on Constitution Ave NE
Half Marathon Turns only:
- Left on N. Carolina Ave NE
- Merge onto C Street NE
- Merge right onto 22nd Street NE
- Turn right onto E. Capitol St NE
- Half Marathon Finish (near RFK Lot 3)
Marathon Turns only:
- Right on 14th St NE
- Right on N. Carolina NE
- Left on 13th Street SE
- Right on E. Capitol Street SE
- Right on 11th Street SE
- Left on E. Capitol Street NE
- Left on 3rd Street SE
- Right on E Street SE
- Left on S. Capitol Street SW
- Cross the Douglass Bridge
- Turnaround on S. Capitol St SW north of Malcolm X Ave SW
- Continue north on S. Capitol St SW
- Left on Douglass Bridge access road
- Right on Anacostia Drive SE
- Full loop around Anacostia Park Skating Pavilion on Anacostia Drive SE
- Left on Nicholson Street SE
- Left on Fairlawn Ave SE
- Right on Pennsylvania Ave SE
- Left on L’Enfant Square SE
- Left on Pennsylvania Ave SE
- Right on Fairlawn Ave SE
- Right on K Street SE
- Enter Randle Circle SE
- Left on Ft. Dupont Dr SE
- Left on Ft. Davis Dr SE
- Left on Ridge Rd SE
- Left on Ely Place SE
- Right on Minnesota Ave SE
- Right on E. Capitol Street NE off-ramp
- Right on E. Capitol Street NE
- Merge right onto C Street NE
- Left on 21st Street NE
- Left on 22nd Street NE
- Right on E. Capitol St NE
- Marathon Finish (near RFK Lot 3)
Also, download the FREE Waze navigation app on your smart phone to help avoid road closures on race weekend.
Metered Traffic Locations
Metered traffic locations are intersections that vehicles will be allowed to cross by a MPD Officer when safe to do so.
Motorists traveling in the area of this event may experience delays and should consider alternative routes. The Metropolitan Police Department would like to remind motorists to pay full attention whenever operating any motor vehicle and to be mindful of heavy pedestrian traffic that may be associated with special events. These street closings are subject to change without notice based upon unanticipated events and prevailing conditions.