Smoke alarm saves Virginia family from fire

- A family is safe after a smoke alarm alerted them to an electrical fire that caused $320,000 in damages on Monday.

Fire and rescue units responded to a call at around 1 p.m. to find fire and smoke coming from the roof of a two-story home in Sterling.

The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire was caused by a malfunctioning bathroom ventilation fan.

The working smoke alarm gave the family critical time they needed to evacuate their home. The Fire Marshal’s Office recommends that every household have working smoke alarms on every level of their home, inside bedrooms, and outside sleeping areas.

Loudoun County Fire and Rescue’s “Put a Finger on It” smoke alarm program offers free smoke alarms to all Loudoun County residents. The county will also replace old smoke alarms free of charge.

Visit for more information.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

More Stories You May Be Interested In - Includes Advertiser Stories