WASHINGTON - While no one in the DC area took home the big jackpot in Wednesday night’s historic Powerball drawing, you’ll still want to check your tickets. There were local winners in both Virginia and Maryland—including two tickets worth $1 million each!
The lucky numbers from Wednesday night's drawing were 6, 7, 16, 23 and 26, and the Powerball number was 4.
In all, Virginia Lottery officials say there were 245,185 winning tickets purchased statewide, and one of those tickets was worth $1 million. That ticket was sold at the Parkway Express, located at 8105 Loisdale Road in Lorton. It matched the first five numbers and only missed the Powerball number.
In Maryland, a $1 million-winning ticket was sold at the Potomac Shell station, located at 12140 Darnestown Road in Gaithersburg. Lottery officials urge the winners to sign the back of the ticket and keep it in a safe location until he or she can come to lottery headquarters (1800 Washington Boulevard in Baltimore) to claim the prize. The winner must claim within 182 days of the drawing date.
Maryland Lottery officials say two tickets worth $50,000 were also sold in Maryland. One of them was sold at Wheaton Winery, located at 2211-B University Boulevard in Silver Spring, and the other was sold at Slide In Mart, located at 7925 Crane Highway South in Glen Burnie.
Overall, there were 201,079 winning tickets sold in Maryland for last night’s Powerball drawing, with prizes ranging from $4 to the $1 million winner sold in Montgomery County.
Four other tickets sold in Virginia each won $200,000 in the August 23 drawing using Power Play. They were bought at:
• Frank’s Trucking Center, I4717 West Military Highway, Chesapeake
• Braden’s Market, 1800 East Main Street, Radford
• Kroger, 109 Lew Dewitt Boulevard, Waynesboro
• Wawa, 150 Pike View Drive, Midlothian
Seven tickets sold in Virginia each won $50,000 by matching four of the first five numbers plus the Powerball number. They were bought at:
• Parham Pit Stop, 807 East Parham Road, Richmond
• 7-Eleven, 81 Beach Road, Hampton
• Fas Mart, 4454 John Tyler Highway, Williamsburg
• Super Giant, 5581 Merchants View Square, Haymarket
• Prime Mart, 45665 West Church Road #101, Sterling
• Raceway, 6825 Hull Street Road, Richmond
• Food Lion, 14641-14643 Jefferson Drive, Woodbridge
A Massachusetts hospital worker took home the $758.7 million jackpot-- the largest grand prize won by a single ticket in U.S. lottery history.