Officials: Annapolis yacht club fire due to Christmas tree

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — Fire investigators have concluded a fire that badly damaged the Annapolis Yacht Club was caused by an electrical malfunction with a pre-lit artificial Christmas tree.

The Annapolis Fire Department said in a news release Monday that damage estimates are expected to exceed $9 million.

The three-alarm fire happened on Dec. 12. A firefighter was treated for minor injuries.

Annapolis Fire Chief David Stokes noted that it's the second time a Christmas tree fire has had a major impact in the Annapolis community. In January, an electrical fire that spread to a 15-foot Christmas tree prompted a blaze that killed a couple and four of their young grandchildren.

Stokes is urging people to be mindful of the potential dangers of holiday decorations and practice good safety habits.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

More Stories You May Be Interested In - Includes Advertiser Stories