The Maryland Department of Health says the first heat-related death of 2019 has been reported.
The victim was a woman who was over the age of 65 – she was in Anne Arundel County at the time of her death.
The department is reminding Marylanders to take steps to stay safe in extreme heat.
You can take the following steps to cope with the weather:
· Drink plenty of fluids
· Avoid alcohol, caffeine and overly-sweetened beverages
· Wear loose-fitting, lightweight and light-colored clothing
· Avoid direct sunlight and wear sunscreen; stay in the shade when possible
· Avoid salt tablets, unless advised by a doctor to take them
· Take it easy outside: schedule physical activity in the morning or evening, when it’s cooler, and take short breaks if necessary
You can also find other ways to stay safe by visiting the department’s website.