Interrogation video of man convicted in UVa. lacrosse murder released

- Video of an interrogation conducted just hours after the 2010 murder of a University of Virginia student has now been released.

The video, obtained by WVIR-TV, shows police questioning George Huguely about the death of his ex-girlfriend Yeardley Love.

A judge later convicted the former University of Virginia lacrosse player and sentenced him to 23 years in prison.

The jury in Huguely's murder trial saw these tapes as they were part of evidence during the case. But more than five years later, Huguely's interrogation tape is finally public.

"I may have grabbed her a little bit by the neck, but I never like strangled her,” said Huguely in the video.

He later continued, "She just kept hitting her head against the wall. She was sitting on the bed and I grabbed her and I shook her and said, ‘Stop.’ And I looked at her and I was like, ‘We need to like talk about this.’"

Hours after her murder, Huguely told detectives he broke into Love's room so they could have a talk about their relationship. It was a talk that even by his account turned violent.

"I left and she was in her bed. I think her nose was bleeding a little bit. But right now, she's still in her bed,” Hugeuly told the detective.

Nearly an hour into the interrogation, police told Huguely he had murdered her.

Detective: “She's dead. You killed her George. You killed her.”

Huguely: “She's dead?”

Detective: “I think you knew that already.”

Huguely: “No, I did not.”

For minutes, Huguely told detectives they are lying and won't accept the news as he is being handcuffed.

Huguely: "Please, will you tell me she's not dead?”

Detective: “You know what? I wish I could tell you that, George. Twenty-two-year-old. 22 and her life is done.”

Huguely: “Oh my God. Kill me.”

He would go on to deny murdering Love in the interrogation room.

"I didn't kill her. I did not kill her. I did not kill her. I did not. I did not," said Huguely.

"There's no way she's dead. There's no way. I didn't do it. There's no way."

Investigators believe Huguely, in a drunken rage, broke into Love’s room and physically assaulted her, leaving her dead on her bed.

Huguely was initially charged him with first-degree murder, but was instead found guilty of second-degree murder in 2012.

He appealed his conviction all the way to the Supreme Court, but they denied to review his case.

Love's family is seeking more than a million dollars in a civil suit against Huguely. That trial is slated for the spring of 2017.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

More Stories You May Be Interested In - Includes Advertiser Stories