FALLS CHURCH, Va. - Falls Church, Virginia received a high distinction as it was named “America’s Healthiest Community” by a new study.
The study, which was conducted by US News and World Report along with Aetna Foundation, announced its inaugural ranking of healthiest communities in America.
The report examined nearly 3,000 communities across the U.S. and compiled data on nearly 80 indicators across 10 categories.
The 10 categories include population health, equity, education, economy, housing, food and nutrition, environment, public safety, community vitality, and infrastructure.
Falls Church came out on top of the rankings and Northern Virginia boasted three of the top 10 cities listed.
A strong economy, top-notch school system and safe neighborhoods helped Falls Church secure the top spot, according to US News.
"Research has shown that in the United States, your ZIP code is a greater predictor of your life expectancy than your genetic code. In other words, where you live has a significant impact on your overall health," said Mark T. Bertolini, chairman of the Aetna Foundation and chairman and CEO of Aetna in a written statement. "Our work with U.S. News will provide communities with data that can help them better understand opportunities for improvement, as well as inspire ideas for change by showcasing the best practices of communities across the country."
Virginia and Colorado communities dominate the top 10 of the rankings and rounding out the top five healthiest U.S. communities were Douglas County, Colorado, Broomfield County, Colorado, Los Alamos County, New Mexico and Dukes County, Massachusetts.
The District did not make the top 500 list.
Other notable locations from the region making the list include:
- No. 1 - Falls Church, Virginia
- No. 6 - City of Fairfax, Virginia
- No. 10 - Loudoun County, Virginia
- No. 21 - Fairfax County, Virginia
- No. 20 - Howard County, Maryland
- No. 31 - Arlington County, Virginia
- No. 93 - Montgomery County, Maryland
- No. 115 - Stafford County, Virginia
- No. 129 - Fauquier County, Virginia
- No. 151 - City of Alexandria, Virginia
- No. 208 - Prince William County, Virginia
- No. 211 - Calvert County, Maryland
- No. 254 - Frederick County, Maryland
- No. 268 - Anne Arundel County, Maryland
You can see the full list at US News and World Report here.