FREDERICK, Md. - An elderly man was hospitalized after a fire broke out at a Frederick home that is believed to have been sparked by a lightning strike.
The house fire happened at around 7 p.m. Monday in the 8300 block of Sharon Drive.
Firefighters were able to rescue the elderly man who was trapped inside of home. He was taken to the hospital in critical condition after suffering from smoke inhalation, officials said.
Neighbors told FOX 5 that they heard a loud boom that shook their homes as severe thunderstorms were passing through the D.C. region Monday night.
Very heavy emergency response out at house fire off Sharon Drive near Urbana in Frederick. pic.twitter.com/4Zy1j2w7yF— Cori Coffin (@CoriC_FOX5DC) May 15, 2018