DC first responders rescue and revive cat and dog from house fire

- DC Fire officials rescued a dog and a cat from a home fire on Sunday.

Officials say the fire was coming from the basement of a home at the 500 block 23rd Place, Northeast.

First responders rescued the dog and a cat from the home and worked quickly to revive them.

Investigators with DC Fire say DC Humane Rescue Alliance worked with first responders to revive the cat and the dog and say they used oxygen masks specifically designed for animals when providing them with medical attention. Sadly, a second cat died from the fire.

A trainee firefighter/paramedic helped to revive the pup Sheeba and was able to get him back to his owner who was able to stay with neighbors following the fire. DC Fire says the cat Mousie was taken to an animal hospital by DC Humane Rescue Alliance for additional treatment.

DC Fire investigators say they found that there was no functioning smoke detectors in the home

They recommend that smoke detectors be tested monthly. Homeowners can call DC Fire at (202) 673-3331 to have a smoke alarm installed for free.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

More Stories You May Be Interested In - Includes Advertiser Stories