COLUMBIA, Md. - Fire officials say two people have been hospitalized after a three-alarm blaze in Columbia.
Five townhouses have been affected by the fire that happened at around 8 p.m. in the 12000 block of Sleepy Horse Lane. When firefighters arrived, one of the homes was fully engulfed in flames and was spreading to neighboring units.
Howard County Fire and EMS say one person was rescued from a home and a Baltimore Gas and Electric worker was also hurt. Other residents were evaluated for smoke inhalation.
Both victims have non-life-threatening injuries.
Authorities say 911 callers reporting the fire told them that they heard an explosion.
FOX 5's Sarah Simmons reports the BGE worker was investigating a report of a gas leak when an explosion occurred. It is not clear where the employee was when it happened.
Authorities say all people in these homes got out safely and have been accounted for.
Montgomery County Fire and Rescue provided assistance in battling the heavy fire.