2-alarm fire at recycling center in Rockville

- More than 125 firefighters responded to battle a two-alarm fire at a recycling center in Rockville.

The large fire broke out at around 3:30 p.m. on Friday at Georgetown Paper Stock in the 14800 block of Southlawn Lane.

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services spokesperson Pete Piringer said the fire was contained after large piles of materials being prepared for recycling such as cardboard, paper and cloth caught on fire. Crews were at the scene Saturday morning monitoring for hot spots and smolder.

It is estimated that the fire caused more than $100,000 worth of damage.

The westbound lanes of East Gude Drive and Southlawn Lane between Avery Road/Southlawn Court and East Gude Drive were shut down in the area due to the blaze.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

More Stories You May Be Interested In - Includes Advertiser Stories