WASHINGTON - As thousands of people are expected to travel to the National Mall for the Fourth of July festivities, getting there could be difficult. Given some of the problems we have seen plaguing Metro over the last few months, you may be rethinking riding the rails altogether.
The good news is Metro is suspending its SafeTrack work, so the entire system will be running on July 4. But there will be some changes specifically for Monday.
Metrorail will run from 7 a.m. to midnight on Independence Day. Metro will be run on a Saturday schedule until 2 p.m. and then begin rush hour service before and after the fireworks. Riders will be paying off-peak fares during the entire day.
This year, the Smithsonian station will be open all day. However, the National Mall entrance will be entrance-only after 9:30 p.m. Passengers will still be able to enter and exit the Independence Avenue entrance throughout the day.
However, Metro is recommending riders to avoid the Smithsonian station because it can get overcrowded and they encourage people to choose a destination station on the same line you started on to avoid transferring lines.
HOURS & SERVICE
Monday, July 4
- Metrorail: Open 7 a.m. until midnight. Trains will run on a Saturday schedule until about 2 p.m., and then gradually ramp up to near rush-hour service levels before and after the fireworks. Due to large crowds, bicycles and large coolers are not permitted.
- Silver Line: Trains will operate between Wiehle-Reston East and Stadium-Armory for the entire service day. Passengers traveling to/from stations east of Stadium-Armory will need to use a Blue Line train to complete their trip.
- Yellow Line: Trains will operate between Huntington and Mt. Vernon Square only. Passengers traveling to/from stations north of Mt. Vernon Square should use a Green Line train to complete their trip.
- Parking: Free at all Metro-operated facilities.
- Fares: Off-Peak fares will be in effect all day.
- Metrobus: Saturday schedule. Expect detours around the National Mall.
- MetroAccess: Regular service hours. Subscription trips are cancelled. Please ensure all July 4 reservations are booked before 4:30 p.m. on July 3.
- Customer Service: Open 7 a.m. until 8:30 p.m. by calling 202 637-7000; Lost & Found will be closed.
TRAVELING TO THE NATIONAL MALL
The closest station to the Mall is Smithsonian . However this is not your best choice.
While many passengers choose to use Smithsonian, this station can become overcrowded during larger Mall events. Metro recommends selecting a destination station on the same line as your origin to avoid the need to transfer. There is a station near the Mall on every line. Here is a list of suggested stations:
- Foggy Bottom
- Metro Center
- Federal Triangle
- Gallery Place
- Judiciary Square
- Union Station
- L’Enfant Plaza
- Capitol South
- Federal Center SW
- Arlington Cemetery
This year, Smithsonian station will be open all day, however, the mall entrance will become ENTRANCE ONLY after 9:30 p.m. The Independence Avenue entrance will be available for both entry and exit throughout the entire day. Sign up for MetroAlerts or follow us on Twitter @metrorailinfo for up-to-the-minute station information.
Routes 30N, 30S, 32, 36, 39, 52, 54 and 74 operate along the perimeter of the Mall at various locations. Use our Trip Planner for specific date and time travel information, as some nearby Metrobus routes operate Monday through Friday only. Another helpful resource is our holiday service schedule.