MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Md. - Members of the Montgomery County Police Department will don new badges during the month of May to honor their fallen officers.
The back of the badges will list the names of the department's 18 fallen officers:
- Police Officer III Noah Leotta
- Police Officer III William D. Talbert
- Sergeant Hector Ayala
- Police Officer III Luke T. Hoffman
- Captain Joseph Aloysius Mattingly, Jr.
- Police Officer III James E. Walch
- Police Officer III Mark Filer
- Police Officer III Philip Carl Metz
- Corporal John M. Frontczak
- Captain James E. Daly, Jr.
- Private William Patrick Conboy, Jr.
- Detective Lieutenant Donald A. Robertson
- Detective Lieutenant William H. Jessie
- Private Robert L. McAllister
- Private David G. Bisset
- Patrolman James E. Shoemaker
- Patrolman Webb S. Hersperger
- Patrolman Joseph Asbury Case
The badges are part of a tradition dating back to 1962, when President John F. Kennedy signed a proclamation designating May 15 as Peace Officers Memorial Day during Police Week. During Police Week, officers and survivors from around the world come to Washington to participate in events honoring fallen officers.
Since 1962, many additional events of remembrance have been established during the month of May to honor public safety personnel that have died in the line of duty.