But in today's world, thanks to social media, there are a lot of ways to stumble.
Crystal l. Bailey, director of the Etiquette Institute of Washington, joined us with advice for new grads and other job seekers who use social media at work!
Bailey says there are 5 things you need to know to make sure your online profiles don't come back to bite you!
1. Avoid Emoticons & Over Punctuating -- Smileys, kittens and rainbows keep you from being taken seriously.
2. Beware of Instant Messenger -- Many jobs have it, but be careful of how you use it.
3. Set up Your Email and Voice Mail -- Properly set up your voice mail and make sure email signature lines only contain pertinent information and fit company standard.
4. Selfies, Think Before You Post -- Be careful with the photos and messages you post if you're not where you're supposed to be.
5. Remove the Headphones -- Headphones and other wearable tech may give the impression that you are disconnected from the work at hand.
FIND MORE INFO AT: www.washingtonetiquette.com