Teen suspected of bringing gun to DC school to remain in custody

FOX 5's Bob Barnard spoke with the teenager's father.

- A D.C. judge ordered a 17-year-old Wilson High School student charged with bringing a gun to school to remain in custody.

The father of the unidentified teenager said his son brought the gun to school last week for his own protection because of an ongoing dispute with other students.

"Even after this we're going to just start talking to all the kids about actually about doing the right thing, getting back in school, getting back to having fun, that violence is not the way,” said Dewayne Morris, the suspect’s father.

Morris said his son was expelled from Wilson High School earlier this year after a fight on campus, but the teen was reinstated.

“This conflict goes back to last school year. And you have young people – Latino brothers and black brothers – who got into conflict over petty things. Nothing serious and it’s led to this,” said community activist Ron Moten, who is helping Morris navigate the criminal justice system.

Principal Kim Martin praised her students’ and staff’s decision-making and quick-thinking, which led police to remove the loaded handgun from a classroom last Tuesday afternoon.

The teenager, who is being charged as a juvenile, will remain locked up over the holidays.

His next court appearance will be in early January.

 App Store Get it on Google Play

  • Popular

  • Recent

More Stories You May Be Interested In - Includes Advertiser Stories