ANNAPOLIS, Md. - One man is dead and another is injured after a fire destroyed a house in Anne Arundel County early Tuesday morning. The fire happened around 1:30 a.m. in the 1700 block of Winchester Road in Annapolis.
Emergency crews who were returning from another call spotted the flames. Dozens of firefighters responded to the home.
Chuck Pearce escaped the fire and said that he and the elderly homeowner were awake when it started. Pearce said the two saw the flames coming through the door and tried to make their way out of the other side of the home. “I thought he was right behind me. We went out there. I got outside and I was like, ‘Where are you?’ I couldn't find him.”
Pearce says the homeowner was charging a pickup truck battery outside of the house. No official cause has been determined at this time.