WASHINGTON - Metro riders will experience delays along a portion of the Red Line starting Tuesday as Metro continues their system wide maintenance plan.
SafeTrack Surge #7 begins on August 9 and runs through August 18 and will involve continuous single tracking between the Shady Grove and Rockville stations.
The emergency overhaul of the transit system, which began in June, has primarily focused on the Orange, Silver, Blue and Yellow Lines. The month of August was the first month Metro Red Line commuters were directly impacted.
Here are the complete details about the latest SafeTrack plan and travel alternatives:
- Trains will serve Shady Grove and Rockville stations every 18 minutes.
- All other Red Line stations will have near-normal service with additional trains operating between Twinbrook and Glenmont and between Grosvenor and Silver Spring during AM/PM rush.
- During the midday/evening trains will run between Shady Grove and Silver Spring every 18 minutes; and between Grosvenor and Glenmont every 12 minutes.
- After 10:00 p.m. trains will run between Shady Grove and Glenmont every 20 minutes.
- Customers are encouraged to avoid Shady Grove and Rockville if possible; use Twinbrook, White Flint or Grosvenor instead.
- Free shuttle buses replace trains between Shady Grove and Grosvenor 7AM Saturday through closing Sunday.
- Stations Closed: Shady Grove, Rockville, Twinbrook, and White Flint.
Weekend train frequencies may change to coordinate with other planned track work on the Metrorail system.Weekend service information is posted in the Alerts & Advisories section
Red line trains may be very crowded, especially during rush hour due to severe service reductions. Expect significantly longer wait times at the following stations:
Map of full service impacts (pdf)
SafeTrack full plan brochure (pdf)
Parking availability (pdf)
Surge 7 brochure (pdf)
Ride On bus service map (jpg)
Printable detailed bus information (pdf)
Montgomery County SafeTrack - Resources for Montgomery County residents, commuters and visitors to plan for SafeTrack
- If you’re driving on I-270 from north of Shady Grove, consider taking the MARC Brunswick Line to Union Station.
- Ride On will run free weekday rush hour shuttle bus service between the Shady Grove and Grosvenor-Strathmore stations.
- Additional bus service will be provide on Metrobus Veirs Mill Road Line (Q Line) and Ride On 46.
- If you park and ride from Shady Grove or Rockville, consider parking at Twinbrook, White Flint, Glenmont, Wheaton or Forest Glen stations.
- Ride on will run free weekday rush hour shuttle bus service between the Shady Grove and Grosvenor-Strathmore stations.
- Enhanced weekday rush hour service will be provided on Metrobus Q6.
Printable detailed bus information (pdf)
Bus service map (jpg)
44, 45 Rockville - Twinbrook
46 Shady Grove - Rockville - Twinbrook - White Flint - Grosvenor - Medical Center
47 Rockville - Bethesda
48 Rockville - Wheaton
49 Rockville - Glenmont
55, 59, 63 Rockville - Shady Grove
81 Rockville - White Flint
If your park and ride from Shady Grove or Rockville, consider parking at Twinbrook, White Flint, Glenmont, Wheaton or Forest Glen stations.
Montgomery County Bike/Walk - Resources on biking throughout Montgomery County, including bike maps and information for bike commuters.
Capital Bikeshare - A bike transit service of the departments of transportation in the District of Columbia, Arlington County, the City of Alexandria and Montgomery County.
- As an alternative to regular membership options (starting at $8/day), CaBi is offering a flat $2 fare for single trips under 30 minutes.
Washington Area Bicyclist Association - Information on bike options in SafeTrack Surge zones
CARPOOLS, VANPOOLS & OTHER RESOURCES
Commuter Connections - Provides commute options to get to work and get you home in an unexpected emergency. Among many services, it offers ridematching for carpools and vanpools and administers the Guaranteed Ride Home program.
Montgomery County Commuter Services - Promotes Better Ways to Work with a variety of incentives and tools to help make our roads less crowded while providing reliable transportation alternatives.
Montgomery County Car Sharing Services - Information on car sharing services available in Montgomery County.
Montgomery County Carpool/Vanpool - Receive free assistance in forming a carpool or vanpool convenient to your home and office.
Red Line Passengers Urged to Seek Alternatives During SafeTrack Surges in August: Surge #6 Begins August 1 and Will Affect the Entire Red Line; Surge #7 Begins August 9 with Greatest Impact at Shady Grove and Rockville
If you have any questions or need assistance planning your trip, please call Metro Customer Service at (202) 637-7000.