KENT ISLAND, Md. - The arrival of summer means many things, but most importantly it means fresh Maryland crabs — lots of it.
If you are not use to eating crabs (that aren’t already peeled for you) then you might be lost if a whole one is placed in front of you. Don’t worry - we are here to help you.
There are many different ways to free the crab meat, but we think Jody Schulz, owner of Fisherman’s Inn in Kent Island, Maryland has a great method. He broke it down for you (and us) in the most beautiful demonstration!
This is how it’s done:
1. First, place the crab in your hands.
2. Pull the top shell right off of the crab.
3. Then if you want, lay the crab down on the table.
4. Take a knife and scrap off the lungs (you don’t want to eat those).
5. Yank off the claws (sometimes you’ll get a little meat out of there).
6. After the claws are off you want to take a knife and cut the legs off the knuckles.
7. Clean all the inside out (that all the intestines).
8. Remove where the intestines were ... yes, it is a lot of work but it’s worth it!
9. Then you separate the top from the bottom (that opens it up to ALL the delicious crab meat).
10. You take your knife and work it around the back fin to scrap out the meat
11. Take the claws and crack those open to search for any more delicious meat you can find!
Don’t forget your warm melted butter to dip the mouth watery crab meat in!