The Washington D.C. metro region was in for a messy Friday night and Saturday morning as a Nor'easter moved through the area.
A Winter Weather Advisory has been issued until noon Saturday. A Winter Storm Warning has also been issued for portions of western Maryland and northwestern Virginia until noon as well.
The primary concern with this weather system is going to be freezing rain and ice, says FOX 5's Tucker Barnes.
Most of the issues are going to be to the north and west of D.C. -- but, as we commonly see, the rain/snow line will run along the Interstate 95 corridor, making mixes of rain/snow/sleet possible in many parts of the metro area at anytime.
Here is what we are expecting at this time:
- Storm begins moving up the coast Friday night, D.C. can expect to see a snow/rain mix starting around 6 p.m./7 p.m.
- Areas south and east of D.C. will get more rain.
- Areas to the north and west of D.C. could see more freezing rain and sleet.
- Snow accumulations could be from a dusting to around an inch in D.C. -- possibly 1-3 inches to the north and west.
- As the system moves out of our area, a period of snow could take over.
The bottom line is that it is going to be a messy 24 hours, starting from around 6 p.m./7 p.m. Friday night to around the same time Saturday night.
Another storm to keep an eye on is moving into the area Sunday night into Monday morning. This clipper has potential to bring a decent amount of snow and could have a significant impact on the morning commute as well as schools -- so look for updates as we get toward the end of the weekend.
Keep checking with us for forecast updates and follow the latest on Facebook and Twitter.
TRACK OF THE STORM WITH FOX 5 WEATHER UPDATES:
Download the FOX 5 Weather App
Check the latest weather closings/delays
Check the latest weather radars
Check the latest weather alerts - warnings, watches, advisories
Track airport flight delays
Stay up to date with the FOX 5 Weather Team on Twitter: @fox5weather, @suepalkafox5dc, @garyfox5dc, @TuckerFox5, @gwenfox5dc?, @MikeTFox5