On Saturday morning, D.C. Fire & EMS released the preliminary findings of its investigation into Monday's deadly smoke incident on Metro. The report says firefighters who responded to the incident near the L'Enfant Plaza station had trouble communicating with radios inside the tunnel-- which FOX 5 reported just one day after the incident.
The report says WMATA was told by email on January 8-- four days before the incident-- that there was a problem with radio coverage in the L'Enfant Plaza station. An email included in the report suggests that Metro was doing work on the system and believed the problem was resolved in the station-- but the issues continued in the tunnel. The report says the radios still worked as walkie-talkies, but one firefighter reported radio communications were "nonexistent" in the tunnel.
READ THE FULL REPORT BY D.C. FIRE & EMS: CLICK HERE (Mobile users: click here)
Metro will run an ad in Sunday's Washington Post Newspaper apologizing to customers.
More FOX 5 coverage:
NTSB releases initial findings in Metro smoke incident
Timeline shows long await for help on smoke-filled Metro train
According to the new report, some who couldn't use their radios used cellphones instead to communicate during Monday's emergency, which FOX 5 also reported Tuesday.
The initial findings by D.C. Fire & EMS say firefighters found two passengers from the train who had self-evacuated in the vent shaft, but video obtained by FOX 5 shows there were three passengers there.
The report also says Rescue Squad 1 reached the train four minutes before the battalion chief confirmed power to the third rail had been shut off.
One person died and more than 80 others were injured when smoke filled a train in the tunnel near the L'Enfant Plaza station on Monday afternoon.