Prosecutors list evidence turned over to defense in DC mansion murders case

- New evidence has been released in the brutal quadruple murder that took place inside a northwest D.C. mansion last year.

The man accused in the case has yet to go on trial. Darron Wint was indicted by a grand jury on 20 felony charges that include first-degree murder while armed, burglary, kidnapping, extortion, arson and theft in the deaths of Savvas and Amy Savopoulos, their son Philip, and their housekeeper, Veralicia Figueroa—all of whom were found killed inside the family’s home on Woodland Drive last year.

Police and prosecutors have revealed some of the evidence in the case, but a new court document shows a large number of files are still under seal and being kept secret from the public.

Two letters that were filed in the case detail evidence that has been turned over to the defense, including hundreds of reports, photos, documents and videos that will help shape the case against Wint.

"I think they are turning over an awful lot mostly out of an abundance of caution," said Jim Trainum, a former D.C. police homicide detective with experience investigating complicated murder cases. "There has been a lot of controversy recently about prosecutors intentionally or unintentionally not turning over evidence that might help the defense, and in this case, they are turning over what they can turn over and they are turning it over early."

Letters found in the case reveal some intriguing items that police have yet to mention, such as surveillance video from a home on Rock Creek Drive, which is just around the corner from the family’s home. Also, video from an office building on Wisconsin avenue in Chevy Chase and jail recordings from Daron Wint’s phone conversations.

“The prosecution does not have to explain what this stuff is, they just have to turn it over,” Trainum explained.

While examining the letters, FOX 5 discovered more than 20 search warrants that are still under seal. These warrants pertain to phone numbers, a suitcase, Facebook accounts and a laptop.

"Initially they thought and I'm sure that they still feel that there is more than one person involved," said Trainum. "They don't have those people yet in custody and so there is still and ongoing investigation, and as such, they need to protect certain information so that it doesn't jeopardize their search for the other people."

Savvas, Amy and Philip Savopoulos along with Figueroa were held captive for over 20 hours before prosecutors say a ransom of $40,000 was delivered to the house. But instead of letting them go, prosecutors say Wint beat, stabbed and strangled them to death before setting the house on fire.

Prosecutors have also turned over a number of newspaper articles about the case as well as one cable news special.

Wint is due back in court on May 20.

 App Store Get it on Google Play

  • Popular

  • Recent

More Stories You May Be Interested In - Includes Advertiser Stories