Over the last few months, children have been getting injured from falls on hoverboards. In other instances, the boards have caught fire. Both of them in big enough numbers that the CPSC quickly started to look at their safety.
Let's start with fires. Home video from a Houston Mall where hoverboards were sold at a kiosk captured a hoverboard on fire there over the holidays. In another situation a California home caught fire killing two family dogs. The fire marshal blames a charging hoverboard. And yet another house fire blamed, again, on a hoverboard. But there are injuries from falls, too. The CPSC reported a 35 percent spike in injuries right before the holidays. So here's the latest announcement. It's big news - so listen up.
The government says while its engineers look into the safety of these boards it's asking,
"large-volume online sellers in particular to stop selling these products until we have more certainty regarding their safety."