Sweet potato pie is a holiday season staple, but have you ever tried to make it yourself? We've got just the recipe.
The folks at Oohh's & Aahh's Soul Food Restaurant showed us how to make their secret recipe for Grandma's Secret Sweet Potato Pie, and you can try it at home!
Here's how to make it:
RECIPE: Grandma's Secret Sweet Potato Pie
(Makes 2 pies)
4 small OR 2 large sweet potatoes
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter (melted)
3/4 cup half and half
2 pie crusts
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Boil, and then the mash the sweet potatoes.
3. Add the eggs, brown sugar, white sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, salt, vanilla extract. Mix well with a whisk.
4. Add butter and half and half. Use an electric whisk or mixer for a couple of minutes, to make it extra silky. When the peaks hold, it's ready.
5. Aerate the pie crust by poking small holes in it using a fork.
6. Pre-bake the crust for about 8 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove the pie crust, then preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
7. Spread the filling evenly inside the pre-baked pie crust, all the way to the edges.
8. Bake the pie for 15 minutes at 425 degrees, and then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 40 minutes (for a total of about 55 minutes in the oven).
9. Let the pies rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Oohh's & Aahh's has two D.C. area locations:
1005 U Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20001
5933 Georgia Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20011